7.20.2008

Santa Monica GLOWs Until The Morning


The Santa Monica pier, just before sunset is one of my favorite places in the world.

Last night, the City of Santa Monica helped present one of the finest summer evening events I have been to in at least a couple years. For anyone who was fearful that GLOW would turn out to be a complete flop - it was anything but.

Floods of tourists were dominating the first few hours of sunset, but by midnight the freaks were on the boardwalk, like zombie undead, making their way towards us. When we finally did unite, all felt great. Our water bottle was keeping us happy, there were glow sticks everywhere and the art presentations were pretty cool to observe. There was a pretty successful ad campaign that was nothing elaborate until the day of, so it was a surprisingly innovative look at how a city should be operated and something desperately needed by the city of Santa Monica. A city growing accustomed to its status by accepting hoards of travelers cheques, but ignoring its disgustingly low level of community. Since this past week I was on a "staycation", this event couldn't have arrived at a better time.


From afar, I waved back at the new ferris wheel... it was 3am and I didn't have it in me to stick it out until sunrise... I have some more pictures taken with a REAL camera that I'll post when I upload them.

No comments: