8.10.2008

Ralph Nader: Justice Over Power


Justice Over Power is the title of one of my articles to be included in Republic Magazine (it's on the FRONT cover and to be released toward the end of August 08; see post titled "Defending The Constitution Tonight") and of course I've found the perfect segment of an interview that I would have used in the article but found it WAY too late. DAMN! Anyway, Steve Martin was at the top of the world in the late 70's and early 80's. He was on the cover of Playboy in January of 1980, leading the world, in his wild and crazy way, into the decade that made me what I am today - a reader of 1980 Playboy magazines.

This part of the interview was funny to me when I visualized Martin talking about his comedy at the peak of his career. It makes me proud that some 28 years later, I am able to write a serious article about Nader.

Playboy: What makes you think you can talk about comedy any more than sex or politics?

Martin: OK. Why am I not political? One reason is purely aesthetic. There were too many political thinkers in the Sixties. There was too much political comedy. It was a cheap laugh. The world didn't need another political comedian (when he came out). The world still doesn't need another serious person. There're too many people who are really good at it; they don't need me.

Playboy: A Ralph Nader of comedy you're not.

Martin: As Ralph Nader is necessary, so am I necessary, so am I necessary. Checks and balances. If everyone were Ralph Nader, we'd have no consumers; and if everyone were me, we'd have no champions. Choosing not to decide something is an existential decision. That's the way I feel about politics. Choosing not to be socially aware, choosing to be naive about it, is a statement.

No comments: